Festivals:-Festivals in Sunderbans
The Sunderbans Mangrove Festival
- Jointly organised by the Sundarbans Tiger Reserve, West Bengal Police and the Wildlife Protection Society of India.
- Aim : Create awareness and educate the public about the importance of mangrove forests and their sustainability.
- Local artists performed folk songs and dances centred on local heroes and mythological characters like forest goddess Bonbibi and her brother Shah Jangoli.
- People pray to Maa Banbibi for the safety and security from any sorts of forest's danger. She is worshipped mostly by the honey-collectors and the woodcutters before entering the mangrove forest of the Sunderbans, for protection against the attacks from the tigers.
- Held every year in January.
- 3 day festival held every year in November during Rash Purnima ( Rash full moon).
- 200 year old annual festival.
- Rural fair occurs in this Jamespore village, Dublar Char Island.
- People take a holy bath in the river.
- Festival based on the meeting of Radha and Lord Krishna
- A good experience for the local and international tourists.
- Handicrafts and Precious wooden items are put on sale.