Upperkot Fort

  • This fort was built in 319 BC by Chandragupta Maurya.
  • The king of Anhilwad Patan once attacked Junagadh to win the Raja’s wife. He won the battle only because one of the Raja’s ministers betrayed him, but he could not win the wife of the Raja as she committed Sati.
  • The entrance to the fort is formed by an ornate triple gateway.
  • This gateway is like the Hindu Toran, leading to flat land dotted with various archeological sites.
  • It's said the fort was besieged for a full 12 years. In all, it was besieged 16 times.
  • Closeby are two medieval cannons named Neelam and Manek, forged in Cairo and brought by the Turks.


Other monuments inside :

  • Jama Masjid:
  1. Built from a demolished Hindu temple.
  2. Has an interior filled with columns.
  • Adi Kadi and Navghan Step Wells :
  1. The Adi Kadi is named after two of the slave girls who fetched water from it.
  2. The Adi-Kadi Vav has a long flight of 120 steps which lead to the water and was built in the 15th century.
  3. It is carved out of a single stone in the ground.
  4. While the Navghan Kuvo of 1026 AD is built from soft rock and is 52 meter deep, reached by a circular staircase winding around the shaft.
  • Buddhist Caves:
  1. Double-story caves have six pillars with very fine carvings.
  2. The soft rock on which Junagadh is built encouraged the construction of caves and wells
  3. These aren't exactly caves but rooms carved out of stones and were used as monk's headquarters.
  4. These caves have ornamented pillars, carved entrances, water cisterns, chaitya hall, monastic cells for meditation and chaitya windows.


  • 76 km from Junagadh Railway Station
  • 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Entrance Fee
  • Rs.2(per person) 
  • Rs.10(per vehicle parking)
Restaurants nearby
  • Tha Ajaykumar Dayalal
  • Local Eateries available
Customise with Holiday Plans!