Diu Fort

Why?
  • The fort was built by the Portuguese during their colonial rule of the Diu island.
  • The fort was built in 1535 subsequent to a defense alliance forged by Bahadur Shah, the Sultan of Gujarat and the Portuguese.
  • The Diu fort was chosen as the wonder from India, among the seven from across the world during the Portuguese rule.
  • A large light house is also located at one end of the fort.
  • Even now the ruins of the walls, gateways, arches, ramps, bastions of the fort provide an impressive view.
  • Within the fort, well laid out gardens have paths bordered by old cannons.
Other Monuments in The Fort
  1. St.Paul’s Church
    • Consecrated to Our Lady of Immaculate Conception.
    • Built between 1601 and 1610.
    • It is built in Gothic style and has an impressive patio.
  2. Church of St. Francis of Assisi
    • The first of the three churches built in Diu.
    • Located on the hilltop overlooking a plateau, the layout plan of the church replicates similar churches built in   Europe.
    • The entrance to the church is through a long flight of steps on the eastern and the northern directions.
  3. St. Thomas Church
    • It has Baroque facade with faded paintings from the Portuguese period.
    • It houses a museum where, apart from a local collection of artifacts, stone sculptures, wood carvings, shadow   clocks.
    • The church is well lighted in the evenings and approached through a garden with a series of fountains.
  4. Some Other Monuments inside :
    • Venetian Gothic style old bungalows.
    • Typical carved wooden or stone havelis.
    • There is also a Shiva temple, called Gangeshwar Mahadev, near the cliffs.
Location
  • 8 km from Diu Airport
Timing
  • 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (All Days open)
Entrance Fee
  • Free
Gallery
Customise with Holiday Plans!